By Melissa Shaw
This year has been a big one for Massachusetts author/illustrator Jeff Kinney: The release of his latest movie, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, the 10th anniversary of his best-selling series, and now today’s release of the 12th book, The Getaway.
The new book takes The Heffleys where readers have never seen them before — in the air on the way to a tropical island vacation where, as usual, nothing ever goes quite according to plan.
“I’m very excited for kids to read The Getaway,” Kinney says. “With airplane travel and an exotic location, the new book expands the frontiers of the Wimpy universe.”
Kinney’s on a getaway of his own right now with his biggest book tour ever, traveling to 20 cities around the world through early December. Fans can catch The Wimpy Kid balloon at the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade on Nov. 23, and enter to win a contest where they can go on their own family getaway.
If your Wimpy fan has read all 12 books and wants more, ABRAMS’ Wimpy Kid publishing program has also released:
* The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary: The Next Chapter, a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the 20th Century Fox movie Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul.
* A special collectible version of the first book in the series, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Cheesiest Edition.
* The Diary of Wimpy Kid Blank Journal, with lined pages for readers to start their own stories.
* A new boxed set containing The Long Haul, Old School, Double Down, and The Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself Book.
* The Wimpy Kid 2018 Calendar.
And, for a fun field trip, you can always take the family to Kinney’s Plainville bookstore, An Unlikely Story.