“Road to the Races,” a nationwide tour inviting fans of #95 to gear up for the June 16 big-screen release of Disney Pixar’s Cars 3, rolls into Somerville next weekend. Fans can take part in a host of free activities and get a sneak peek of the movie.
The fun will take place at Assembly Row, Sylvester Baxter Riverfront Park, 698 Assembly Row in Somerville on:
Friday, April 28: 12 p.m.-6 p.m. (Last Guest Entry 5 p.m.)
Saturday, April 29: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. (Last Guest Entry 4 p.m.)
Sunday, April 30: 11 a.m.-5 p.m. (Last Guest Entry 4 p.m.)
Families can check out and take pictures with life-size, character look-alikes of five-time Piston-Cup champion Lightning McQueen, tech-savvy Cruz Ramirez, and the sleek next-gen racer Jackson Storm will be rolling into town to celebrate the new movie with local fans.
* Alamo Rent A CarSM is hosting a street art booth and will bring “Cars 3” to life with a giant coloring mural featuring Lightning McQueen and friends, along with a color pencil pack souvenir.
* Coppertone is creating a racer pit crew that encourages visitors to take part in a tire-changing activity and photo-sharing opportunity.
* Crest and Oral-B are providing fans with an opportunity to create a digital postcard with Lightning McQueen and get “Cars”-themed oral care products.
* Dole invites visitors to sample high-octane fruit and vegetable smoothies, collect “Cars 3”-inspired recipes, and more. To see more of Dole’s exciting promotions around summer family fun, click here.
* Mattel presents an interactive play area, which sends Lightning McQueen and other racers down the gravity drop and launches them into action in new play sets that feature locations from the movie. Also on display will be a collection of die cast racers from past and present.
* Fans will be able to catch a sneak peek of the movie in the Cinetransformer Mobile Movie Theater.
* The national youth program NASCAR Acceleration Nation will display the science behind NASCAR racing, and elements from the NASCAR Hall of Fame will allow attendees to get up close and personal with the history of NASCAR.