It's not the first ingredient when you think "dessert," but dry mustard powder provides a flavor boost to a variety of meals, from veggies and meats to cocktails and desserts. Check out the delicious recipe below from Colman's and enter to win a sweet (or savory) Colman's prize pack, featuring an apron, dry mustard powder, and prepared mustard. Email WIN@baystateparent.com with Colman's in the subject line by Dec. 21.
Colman’s Mustard Gingerbread Cake
For more recipes, visit ColmanUSA.com
• 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
• 2/3 cup unsulphured molasses
• 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp. baking soda
• 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 2 tsp. ground ginger
• ¼ tsp. ground cloves
• ½ tsp. salt
• 1 ½ tsp. Colman’s Dry Mustard Powder
• 2/3 cup hot coffee
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and brown sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the molasses and eggs until well combined.
3. Reduce speed to low and sift in the flour, baking soda, spices, Colman’s Dry Mustard Powder, and salt. Mix until smooth, then add hot coffee and stir until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
4. Cool on a rack. Cut into 9 squares. Top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream or dust with powdered sugar.